Dr. Alberto Jiménez-Piernas Garcí
- Doctor of European Law. University of Bologna (Italy) – Royal College of Spain.
- Master of International Protection of Human Rights. University of Alcala (Madrid, Spain).
- B. Comm. (History, Contemporary History and International Relations). Complutense University (Madrid, Spain).
Areas of Interest
- Corporate Social Responsibility.
- International and European Standards of Corporate Social Responsibility.
- European Union Law and Politics.
- International Relations and Human Rights.
Alberto Jiménez-Piernas has a double international Ph.D., obtained both in Italy and Spain, being the first Spanish Doctoral Thesis that has systematized and analyzed international and European standards of corporate social responsibility (CSR) from an interdisciplinary and integrated perspective. Before finishing his graduate studies in History, obtained with Honors, he joined a Research Group of Complutense University on International Relations, with which he collaborated for three years within the framework of a regional excellence program to promote research. Later on, Prof. Jiménez-Piernas enrolled in a Master Degree on International Human Rights Law (UAH).
His current research focuses on CSR international standards and, particularly, European cutting-edge developments in this area, but also general issues of international relations and human rights. As a researcher, he also studies the responsible internationalization of companies and the progressive inclusion of social and environmental clauses in international trade and investments.
In 2013 he was selected to join the United Nations Office in Geneva (Switzerland), as an intern, where he further specialized in economic, social and cultural rights, within the Special Procedures of the Human Rights Council. He then completed his Ph.D. in Bologna (Italy) once designated Scholar of the Royal College of Spain.
As a leading expert on the international and European dimension of CSR, he is frequently invited to international conferences, congresses and seminars, many of which have led to different publications. He currently prepares the publication of a book to reflect the state of the art in this matter.
In 2018, he has founded a Spanish-speaking digital platform of applied research on CSR, called NegocioResponsable.Org, which aims at promoting CSR credibility in the benefit of companies, civil society and public institutions, from a technical and pragmatic approach to overcome the creeping predominance of marketing strategies in this area. This platform further has the objective of making available and easily accessible international and European standards on CSR.
He was born in Alicante (Spain) and now lives in Madrid, but he has lived and worked in Switzerland and Italy. He fluently speaks and writes in English, French, Italian and Spanish. More information at: https://negocioresponsable.org/información
Articles in Research Journals
- JIMÉNEZ-PIERNAS, A., AZCONA, J.M. and CAMPOS, M.I.: “La transition espagnole dans le contexte de la Guerre Froide (1974-1986)”, in Revue d’histoire diplomatique, Paris 2013, Vol. 127, No. 4, pp. 367-387.
- JIMÉNEZ-PIERNAS, A.: “La definición de la responsabilidad social corporativa a la luz de los principios rectores: una perspectiva de derechos humanos”, in E. LÓPEZ JACOISTE Y C. FERNÁNDEZ-LIESA: Empresas y Derechos Humanos, Pamplona 2018, Thompson Reuters.
- JIMÉNEZ-PIERNAS, A.: “Importancia y características de los Planes Nacionales de Empresas y Derechos Humanos en relación con el desarrollo sostenible”, in DIAZ BARRADO, C. y FERNÁNDEZ LIESA, C. R. (Dirs.) (2018). Objetivos de Desarrollo Sostenible y Derechos Humanos: Paz, Justicia e Instituciones Sólidas / Derechos Humanos y Empresas, Ed.: Instituto de Estudios Internacionales y Europeos Francisco de Vitoria de la Universidad Carlos III de Madrid., Madrid, España, pp. 289-301. S.B.N: 978-84-697-9116-5.
- JIMÉNEZ-PIERNAS, A.: “Retos de los Nacionalismos en la Europa de las Regiones”, in TERUEL LOZANO, G., PÉREZ MIRAS, A. and RAFIOTTA, E. (Dirs.): Desafíos del Constitucionalismo ante la integración Europea, Editum-Universidad de Murcia, pp. 425-448, ISBN 978-84-608-4331-3.
Contributions to Congresses
- International Congress “The first Spanish National Action Plan on Business and Human Rights”, University of Seville, 14-15 June 2018. Lecture entitled: “El Plan Nacional de Empresas y Derechos Humanos y los ODS en su entorno europeo: propuestas de mejora” (National Action Plan on Business and Human Rights and the SDGs in the European context: proposals for improvement”).
- Spanish-Portuguese International Congress on “Business and Human Rights”, Cáceres (Extremadura – Spain), 7-8 June 2018. Paper presented: “La idoneidad de un Nuevo tratado multilateral de Empresas y Derechos Humanos”, (“The technical suitability of a new multilateral treaty on Business and Human Rights”).
- Experts Meeting International Labour Organization and University Carlos III of Madrid (Spain), Round Table on “CSR, Business and Human Rights”. February 2nd (Coordinator of the Sub-group on Business and Human Rights”).
- Lecturer at the Seminar “Sustainable Development Goals and Human Rights: Peace, Justice and effective institutions”. European and Ibero-American Academy of Yuste Foundation, Cáceres (Spain), 5-6 October 2017. Lecture entitled “Importance and characteristics of National Action Plans on Business and Human Rights with regard to sustainable development”.
- Invited to the Experts-Meeting on the United Nations Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights, University Carlos III and University Rey Juan Carlos, Madrid, 26 January 2017.
- Rapporteur in the debate “Is democracy in crisis?”, International Conferences Room, Rectorate of the University of Alcalá (Institute for Latin-American Studies), 13 December 2016.
- Seminar imparted during the session on “Current problems of international relations, regional integration and human rights”, Institute for Latin-American Studies, University of Alcalá, 20 May 2016.
- Collaboration in the organization of the International Conference “The Principle of Equality in EU Law”, directed by Prof. Lucia Serena Rossi, held at the University of Bologna (Italy) and the Royal College of Spain, 18 and 19 May 2015.
- Seminar imparted on “The EU and Corporate Social Responsibility in the international scenario”, Master Programme in European and International Law of the China-EU School of Law, held at the University of Bologna, 2 hours, 27 April 2015.
- Seminar imparted on International Economic Law: is there room for human rights? (“Diritto Economico internazionale: c’è posto per i diritti umani?”), School of Political Sciences (University of Bologna), 02 March 2015.
- Member of the Organization Committee of the II International Congress “Desafíos del Constitucionalismo ante la integración europea” (Challenges of Constitutionalism in the European Integration), ICADE-Business School –Universidad Pontificia de Comillas, Madrid, 25-27 November 2014. Paper presented: “Retos de los nacionalismos en la Europa de las Regiones” (Challenges of nationalisms in the Europe of the Regions).
- Participation in the seminar “Dimensión internacional de la Transición española. Protagonistas y memoria histórica”, Madrid, Universidad Complutense, 17th/18th- 2012. http://www.madrimasd.org/blogs/Historia_RRII/2012/12/16/130449 Lecture entitled: “Análisis del discurso y Relaciones Internacionales”, 18th Dec. 2012. (“Discourse Analysis and International Relations”).